Re: generic options for explain - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua Tolley
Subject Re: generic options for explain
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 09:55:55AM -0400, Dave Page wrote:
> from the pgAdmin perspective. We
> already use libxml2, but JSON would introduce another dependency for
> us.

...and using XML introduces a dependency for those that apps that don't already
use some XML parser. I realize that since the pool of apps that care to
mechanically parse EXPLAIN output is small, it wouldn't necessarily be a big
deal to hand each of them a new dependency in the form of a parser for XML,
JSON, etc. But we know the least common denominator is to return a set of
tuples; let's make sure that really is unworkable before forcing even that
dependency.

- Josh / eggyknap