Re: Prepping to break every past release... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Prepping to break every past release...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 02:35:52PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> writes:
>>> I think this sounds a lot like another request for a set of system views
>>> with nicer names.
>>
>> What's the state of the newsysviews project, anyway?  I don't recall
>> hearing much about it lately.
>
> Final verdict was that we need to make it integrate better with
> information_schema.  At that point, our crew kinda ran out of energy and
> it's been on hold ever since.   But we've been talking about reviving it
> again.

The information schema has things mandated by the SQL standard, and so
we really need to stay inside the lines with it.  By its nature, it
must hide "implementation details" which newsysviews can expose, so
now that there's a track record of 5 versions of compatible
newsysviews, I think we should make it a schema that ships with every
database, starting with 8.5.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!