Re: Grass Root Protectionism - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Grass Root Protectionism
Date
List pgsql-sql
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Boycott Tech Forums
> <boycotttechforums@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I am a Sr. Software Engineer in USA who (like many others) have been
> > unfairly treated with offshore software engineers who have the audacity to
> > take our jobs, yet ask (mostly) American engineers to help them with their
> > technical challenges via Technical Forums (like this one).
> >
> > One solution is a bit of Grass Root Protectionism by boycotting technical
> > forums. Perhaps if it takes an offshore engineer 2 hours to solve a problem,
> > then the employer would see the real cost implication.
> >
> > I encourage American engineers who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to
> > develop their skills not to give it away so freely.
>
> Without foreign engineers working on pgsql it wouldn't be nearly as
> far along as it is today.

It is larger than that.  Without non-US developers, Postgres would be
less than half what it is today, meaning that US Postgres users need to
thank the non-US developers for their work over the past 12 years of
community Postgres development.  It is US people who are benefitting
more from the relationship, not non-US people.

This is true of many open source projects.

http://enterprisedb.com