Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:36:02AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 03:12:02PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I don't think this is correct.
>
> > I do.
>
> > People literally grab my shoulder and ask when we'll have it.
>
> Do these people understand the difference between HS and a complete
> replication solution?

Yes, and those who don't catch on quickly.  The difference between
warm standby and hot is the difference between an idle resource which
only consumes money to mitigate risk and a revenue-generating one.
The former is for fat organizations with money to throw around, and
the latter is for anybody who needs to scale reads.

> Are they still as excited after you explain the difference?

Yes.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!