Re: Commitfest infrastructure (was Re: 8.4 release planning) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Commitfest infrastructure (was Re: 8.4 release planning)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Brendan Jurd <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
> I think the picture has started to become more clear during the 8.4
> dev cycle.  Most importantly, there was much ado made about the need
> for powerful email integration features in previous discussions.  This
> severely restricted our choices (possibly to zero?).  I feel that the
> commitfest wiki has demonstrated that no such integration is required.

Hardly --- one of the most critical usability fixes for the wiki was to
make it relatively painless to insert links to the mail list archives
(even for messages that hadn't made it there yet!).  We're still gonna
need that.  I agree that we found out that we don't need to be able to
send mail directly to the patch tracker, although perhaps cc'ing it
would be a nice way to get such links installed.

The other thing that is commonly thought of as "email integration"
is the ability to generate notification email, which AFAIK the wiki
does have (I haven't felt a need for it, but other people might be
using that).