Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 18:12:58 -0500
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >
> > > There was.  I am attaching it again in case there were any changes
> > > to original files in the meantime.
> >
> > I think what Bruce meant to say is that this patch doesn't produce
> > 100% spec-compliant ReST, and that almost-ReST doesn't seem like a
> > good feature.
>
> It is a great feature for people actually using ReST.  However, the
> feature is really just a logical extension to the existing border
> attribute.  The fact that it is useful to people using ReST is just a
> happy coincidence.  I don't think it should be referred to as the ReST
> feature.  My patch does not mention ReST in the doc changes.
>
> By "logical extension" I mean this;
>
> 0: Underline column names with single line
> 1: Add lines between columns
> 2: Add table frame <<== Up to here already exists
> 3: Underline column names with double line and add line between rows
>
> It might be argued that '3' should be split between '3' and '4' since it
> is two changes but that's a minor matter.  I can make that change to the
> patch if anyone sees any value to that.
>
> 3: Add line between rows
> 4: Use double line between header line and data

Well, did anyone say they actually liked the new format,
appearance-wise, or would use it independently of ReST --- I don't
remember anyone, and we don't want to extend the output format unless
there is user demand.

http://enterprisedb.com