Re: How to get schema name which violates fk constraint - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: How to get schema name which violates fk constraint
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane escribió:

> A comprehensive response to this type of gripe wouldn't be all that
> "easy".  In the first place, there'd be a lot of code to touch.

Well, that makes it tedious, which is not the same as hard.

> In the second place, the reason most of our messages don't already
> contain schema names is that in the past we've judged it would be
> mostly clutter; and given the infrequency of complaints I see no
> reason to change that opinion.

I tend to disagree.  We can run a poll in a wider audience.

> The type of fix I'd like to see would be to not change message texts at
> all, but to add separate error-message fields for the name and schema
> name of object(s) involved in an error; which would be details that
> psql, for example, would show only in VERBOSE mode.  Note that error
> report fields along this line are actually required by the SQL spec
> (cf GET DIAGNOSTICS) but we've never got round to implementing 'em.

Now that's a bit more complex than the trivial solution of adding an
extra %s to the error message, but it's still not all that difficult, I
think.