Re: Where to Host Project - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Where to Host Project
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 18 September 2008 14:22:14 David E. Wheeler wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Not *exactly* hackers-related, but I wanted to get a feel for this
> from those who are likely to use project hosting, and to minimize the
> chances of a flame war.
>
> Right now I have pgTAP on pgFoundry, which is okay, though it appears
> to be largely unmaintained. PostgreSQL module projects seem to mainly
> just flounder there.
>
> So I'm wondering, given the various discussions of PostgreSQL module
> hosting in the past, where would be a good place to put a PostgreSQL
> module project? The things I would like to have are:
>
>    * SVN or git hosting (I've not used git, but would try it)
>    * Ability to hand out commit bits to other folks
>    * A project home page and/or wiki
>    * Good search results rankings in Google et al.
>    * Mail lists
>    * Bug tracking
>    * Release management
>
> Overall, it should be easy to find my project, and easy to download it
> and build it for PostgreSQL. I've had the following suggestions for
> places to try, in addition to pgFoundry:

my .02, since i have used most of these...

>    * github

does not offer mailing lists or bug tracking, and the release management is
odd

>    * Google Code

does not offer mailing lists

>    * LaunchPad

does not offer svn or git, and i think they dont offer a home page service

>    * WebFaction

dont really know anything about these guys, but i thought they did web
hosting, not project hosting.

Just for the record, you have overlooked SourceForge. While it appears to
fallen out of favor with the open source crowd, it is the one service that
does provide everything you wanted.

> I've not used any of these. So my question is, what do you prefer for
> third-party PostgreSQL modules. Where is it that the the PostgreSQL
> community is likely to aggregate with its modules?

I've been saying for some time now we need to get out of the project hosting
service, and get into the project directory service. What we really want is
to make it easy for people to find postgresql related projects, regardless of
where they are.

--
Robert Treat