Re: Move src/tools/backend/ to wiki - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Move src/tools/backend/ to wiki
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> So I just noticed that we have a description of the Pg innards in the
> sourcecode, complete with a flowchart and all, at src/tools/backend.
> I had already seen this graph years ago; what shocked me the most was
> finding out that there's a pointer to it in the Developer's FAQ, in a
> question that's absolutely unrelated to it.
>
> So I went ahead and moved its mention to a separate question, where it
> has a lot more visibility.  (I also added an URL to anoncvs, where
> people can see it more readily.)
>
> What I'm wondering right now is what's the value of having this stuff
> in the source code at all.  Why don't we move it to the Wiki and remove
> it from the repo?  Would anybody object to that idea?  Having it on CVS
> means that nobody is able to improve the text, which is kind of sad
> because it's been neglected for the last 3 years.

I have no problem having it moved to the wiki, though it does have
HTML imagemap elements.  I don't think much changes at the flow chart
level from release to release so it would fine if it was just CVS HEAD.
I also don't think many people do back-branch development.

http://enterprisedb.com