Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Re: Oracle and Postgresql
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 03 September 2008 09:17:54 Asko Oja wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Robert Treat
>
> <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>wrote:
> >
> > multiple/remote

> > > Stuff we do with plProxy on PostgreSQL is in some respects more
> > > advanced than anything Oracle has to offer :) We have hundreds of
> > > databases in
> >
> > quite
> >
> > > complex network of remote calls and replication.
> >
> > Yes, but it is also far more complex to install, configure, and use,
> > compared
> > to something simple like oracle's dblink, which comes pre-installed, is
> > simple to set-up, and has a much more straight-forward syntax for use in
> > day
> > to day query work.
>
> We are working on these matters and hopefully get some of them solved in
> 8.4
>
> :)
>
> Configure and use part is NO more complex than Oracle and has several use
> cases for which neither of dblinks is suitable.
> Or are you claiming that calling functions is not straight forward and
> seamless in PostgreSQL.

It is not as simple as Oracles database link syntax. Setting up a connection
involves a couple of sql looking commands, and once you setup a connection to
a remote database, you can reference a table with something like select *
from mytable@myotherdb.  There's no way a function oriented solution can
match that imho. (BTW, if you want to see more, Lewis has a pretty good write
up;
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/oracle-guide/database-links-a-definition-in-plain-english-7023)

--
Robert Treat