Re: Postgres does not start, gives no error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Postgres does not start, gives no error
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 04 September 2008 3:32:55 pm Christophe wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2008, at 11:34 AM, Akhtar Yasmin-B05532 wrote:
> > I am really stuck here. And need to get a way thru all of this.
> > Any suggestions will be really appreciated.
>
> Have you confirmed that the user that you are logged in as when you
> attempt to start Postgres has write access to /home/data/www/pg7/data?

In these sort of situations I do a one step at a time approach.
1) Verify you have only one installation of Postgres.
 a) For instance use find to determine if there is more than one pg_ctl
 b) Look for multiple copies of postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf
2) Verify that there is actually data in  /home/data/www/pg7/data
3) Go through postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf to check they are valid.
 a)If possible post the contents here to help with the troubleshooting.
 b) As was suggested turn on logging in postgresql.conf.
4) When you do this:
pg_ctl start /home/data/www/pg7/data
        Does not start postgres but gives a msg that "Poatgres is
started successfully"
Check for a Postgres process running. I have not used Solaris, but I am
thinking the equivalent of ps ax|grep post.
5) In your original post you started with:
"I am facing this peciliar problem.I am using postgres 7.2.2 installed on
solaris.
It has been running very well since all the time, until somebody tried to stop
it. Using the command "
In the version I got the stop command was not shown. What was used to stop
Postgres?
6) If there is a startup script what does it contain?

Hope this helps,
--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net