Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 07:12:47PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > I'm really not in favor of having comments in the conf file that
> > try to tell you about stuff you might want to set, much less why.
> > That task properly belongs to some kind of introductory chapter in
> > the SGML docs.  Novice DBAs are unlikely even to *find* the config
> > file, let alone look inside it, if there's not an introductory
> > chapter telling them about Things They Ought To Do.
>
> Ugh, you are heading in the wrong direction.  The configuration file
> should be well documented: moving the documentation further away
> from it is the wrong idea, especially if it means firing up a web
> browser to do so.  As link is fine, and recommended, but a "bare"
> configuration file would be far, far worse than the mess we have
> today.  I like Josh B's version a lot.  It's not perfect (I'd add a
> URL for each config for example), but it's a great start.  Text
> space is cheap, and having a consistent, well-documented,
> easy-to-read conf file is something worth shooting for.

How about a man page for postgresql.conf?  We already ship very nice
man pages for SQL commands.  While we're at it, we could ship one for
pg_hba.conf, too :)

What do we do about man pages on Windows?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!