Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua Drake
Subject Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf
Date
Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf  ("Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:32:34 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > On idea is for postgresql.conf to merely include other files:
> >     include 'sharedmem.conf'
> >     include 'compat.conf'
>
> That would definitely add complexity ... what would it buy in return?

I am not arguing for this but if we went down that route it does buy us
the ability to compartmentalize the entire conf.. so you have:

memory_settings.conf
logging.conf
maintenance.conf

It is a bit of misdirection as people will open one conf to find a
bunch of pointers to others.

Another option would be to break up the conf like the above but do not
include any of them in the main postgresql.conf (which is how I would
argue it should be done). Thus if you want to modify logging, you
"include" it in the postgresql.conf but you make your adjustments in
logging.conf.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake