Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 02:47:13PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Whether (and how far) to backpatch has always been a best-judgment call
> in the past, and we've gotten along fine with that.  I think having a
> formal policy is just likely to lead to even more complaints:

I completely agree with this.  If you formalise the back-patch policy,
then it will be necessary to invent classifications for bug severity
to determine whether to back patch.  This will inevitably lead to some
sort of false objectivity measure, where bugs get a "severity number"
that actually just means "we have already decided to back-patch".

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/