Fw: UUID vs Serial or BigSerial - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Gould
Subject Fw: UUID vs Serial or BigSerial
Date
List pgsql-general
All,

From a performance standpoint what is the downside to using a UUID column?  Our current database with 25 locations after 5 years is only about 2.5 gig.  We do about 200,000 orders per year so we are not getting hit with a huge amount
of data.  Much of our data is static or once it has been processed it is static from that point forward.  The only reason that I was thinking about using a UUID data type is that this is a commerical product and we are also looking to move into
the ASP space.  It is possible that we might have 2 companies merge and I thought that using the UUID would cause less hassles if we had to merge 2 databases.  That being said the changes of that happening are pretty slim.  I've got one
DBA telling me that I should be using a UUID datatype for all of our tables.

Best Regards,

Michael Gould, Manager Information Technology
All Coast Intermodal Services, Inc.
First Coast Intermodal Services, Inc.
First Coast Logistics Services, LLC.
904-226-0978
904-592-5250 fax
BODY {font:10pt Tahoma,Verdana,sans-serif;}