Re: [Q] DNS(bind) ER model - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: [Q] DNS(bind) ER model
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 04:20:14PM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Anyone aware of an ER model for holding name server records?

What about a datatype?  I have reason to believe that a company I used
to work for implemented such a thing.  There was some talk of
releasing it, but I think there was some combination of insufficient
demand, worries about competitive advantage, and concern about long
term support.

Because of my involvement in that project, I can't make direct
recommendations about this topic.  But supposing one was to go to
various DNS-related lists, it seems to me it wouldn't be that hard to
get information about the wire datatypes such that you'd have enough
information to implement them in Postgres (assuming you know something
about Postgres datatypes).

One hint: remember the "unknown" RRTYPE.  If you have questions about
RRTYPEs, I'm happy to answer.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104