Re: Plugin system like Firefox - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Plugin system like Firefox
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Tuesday, 12. August 2008 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> > I feel the above comment about Firefox is the crux of the plugin issue.
>
> The difference is that Firefox is an interactive eye-candy system whereas
> PostgreSQL is a functionality-based server system.  A PostgreSQL database
> system needs to have a set up method that is robust, reproducible, and
> noninteractive.  Easy of use and click & drool is all nice, but overall I
> think the requirements profile for a PostgreSQL plugin system is quite
> different from Firefox.

True, but I don't see having eye-candy and robust as mutually exclusive.
This is one of the areas where Postgres can go beyond what other
databases can offer, and if we can make it easier to use, we will get
more benefit from it.

http://enterprisedb.com