Re: [HACKERS] Patch for Prevent pg_dump/pg_restore from being affected by statement_timeout - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From daveg
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Patch for Prevent pg_dump/pg_restore from being affected by statement_timeout
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 06:51:28PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alex Hunsaker wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> > <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > > Joshua D. Drake escribi?:

> > >  >
> > >  > pg_restore -E "SET STATEMENT_TIMEOUT=0; SET MAINTENANCE_WORK_MEM=1G" ?
> > >
> > >  We already have it -- it's called PGOPTIONS.
> > >

> > Ok but is not the purpose of the patch to turn off statement_timeout
> > by *default* in pg_restore/pg_dump?
> >
> > Here is an updated patch for I posted above (with the command line
> > option --use-statement-timeout) for pg_dump and pg_restore.
>
> I would like to get do this without adding a new --use-statement-timeout
> flag.  Is anyone going to want to honor statement_timeout during
> pg_dump/pg_restore?  I thought we were just going to disable it.

I have a patch in the queue to use set statement timeout while pg_dump is
taking locks to avoid pg_dump hanging for other long running transactions
that may have done ddl. Do I need to repost for discussion now?

-dg

--
David Gould       daveg@sonic.net      510 536 1443    510 282 0869