Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Am Freitag, 6. Juni 2008 schrieb Tom Lane:
> > - If we know better values, why don't we set them by default?
>
> The problem is: better for what?  In particular, I'm uncomfortable with
> any changes in the direction of trying to make Postgres take over the
> entire machine by default.  I'd want some fairly explicit permission
> from the user for that ...

Yes, those are decisions we are going to have to make, eventually.  But recall
the three step process:

1. What values need changing?

2. What to change them to?

3. Could that be the new default value?

I haven't seen a proposal for item 1 yet, so the rest is idle discussion at
this time.