Re: PostgreSQL derivatives - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 06 June 2008 11:35:05 Seth Grimes wrote:
> If Aster Data Systems (nCluster), Dataupia, Greenplum, or Netezza is
> giving back to open-source PostgreSQL, I'd like to know about it for a
> follow-on article.

Of the above, Greenplum is the only one that has a working relationship with
the postgresql community.

BTW, does this mean you confirmed Aster is based on postgres? I've not seen
any public evidence of that so far, so would be curious to see some.

> That article would also mention DATAllegro's use of
> Ingres and possibly Eigenbase/LucidDB.  Netezza forked Postgres so long
> ago that I would guess, by the way, that their code stream isn't
> compatible enough with PostgreSQL for there to be anything that could be
> included.

Hard to say... it is really in a companies best interested to keep thier
codebase close to postgres's if possible (though it certainly takes some
effort). Since they didn't contribute to postgres back when they were
starting out though, code drift isn't neccessarily a given; it's more that
they see postgres and thier code as "secret sauce" that they'd rather others
didnt know about.

--
Robert Treat