Re: WIP: psql default banner patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: WIP: psql default banner patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:07:46 +1000
"Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Joshua D. Drake  wrote:
> >  Why do we care, if the version matches? Not that I am feeling like
> >  fighting about it but it seems just a waste of bytes. It makes
> > sense if the version doesn't match.
> >

> To take a field example, I have one site where I run an 8.2 production
> cluster, an 8.3 application testing cluster and my a personal 8.4devel
> cluster for hacking postgres.
>
> In such an environment, it's *very* useful to have instant feedback on
> which server I've just connected to with psql.

The patch as it sits would provide you with that. The only time it
doesn't give you that info is if the version matches.

How do you feel about a \V that allows you to output that?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake