Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Montag, 21. April 2008 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> > Agreed. I don't think we *ever* backpatch FAQ stuff, which is a
> > clear indicator it's the later.
>
> Another thought: Would be still ship the FAQ in the release tarball?
> That might be a bit weird if it is not maintained in the source code
> repository.
>
> I think I consider the FAQ to be more of a web resource, to be read
> before you install PostgreSQL, so the thought of not shipping the FAQ
> doesn't bother me too much, but others might not like it.

That's what I was thinking, yes. We could/should include a reference to
where it is, of course, but the content should be on the web. That also
allows us to add an FAQ for a current release without people having to
wait for the next release to actually get it...

> > For reference, the developer FAQ (which really is a different thing,
> > given the audience) now lives on the wiki at
> > http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ. I'd like to hear what
> > people think about that one, and get a "signoff" on if this should
> > be the main location for it, thus removing it from CVS.
>
> Looks good to me.
>
> Actually, I expect that the Developer_FAQ will mostly disappear over
> time and devolve to a list of links to other places in the wiki,
> eventually being merged with or replaced by the
> Development_information page.

Agreed - there's probably some duplication already. But moving it up
there will let the people who want to expand on certain topic do that
without having to flood bruce with patches.

//Magnus