Re: get rid of psql welcome message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: get rid of psql welcome message
Date
Re: get rid of psql welcome message  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost wrote:
> I'd recommend an option in .psqlrc to disable it, if possible.  That
> would be in line with what alot of other "splash-screen" type things do.

I like that idea.  Here is a minimal patch that allows you to put

\set WELCOME_MESSAGE none

or

\set WELCOME_MESSAGE terse

into .psqlrc.  The latter keeps the version information but omits the
information about the backslash commands.  I didn't change any of the message
wordings.  Simon's argument that screenshots and HOWTOs would need to be
updated is not invalid.

I think everyone will find a mode they like here.