Re: Patch queue -> wiki - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Patch queue -> wiki
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> >> Basically a Wiki takes 10x more time for me to modify something, so
> >> unless I get another 9 people to do the same amount of work I do on
> >> tracking, we are going to fall behind.  I am not willing to increase the
> >> amount of time I already spend doing this.  Perhaps distributed over the
> >> community there will be 9x more time spent on tracking, but I doubt it.
>
> > On a busy day we might get 5 patches submitted or updated. That's five lines
> > of text to add or edit.
>
> I think what Bruce is really complaining about here is that he's got
> years worth of development in his current infrastructure, and so it only
> costs him a few seconds and keystrokes to push stuff into his existing
> patch queue; while there's no such shortcuts for the wiki.  Which is a
> fair complaint, but it's hardly insoluble.

My infrastructure really took no time to construct because it is just
pushing email around.  I don't care if I have to scrap it.

Basically it is an outgrowth of something I already do, and that is read
the email stream.  My guess is that no matter what we set up I am going
to want to track things others don't want to see so I am still going to
have my private list of emails I want to address.

That private email list has grown into something official because I am
more thorough about it than most.  If the community wants a more
collaborative tool, they can create one or ask for additions to my web
pages.  If I need to take my pages offline to help, fine.

If the new system is 10x harder than I what I do now, I will probably
just keep doing what I am doing and just not make it visible.  I can put
some work into using the collaborative tool, but as I said before, we
are going to need another 9x of effort.

Personally I don't think either the March or May wiki pages are accurate
enough, so that isn't a good sign.

FYI, others can add to the patch queue now; the email address is at the
top of each page.

http://enterprisedb.com