Re: Unicode comment on Postgres vs Sql Server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephane Bortzmeyer
Subject Re: Unicode comment on Postgres vs Sql Server
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 11:50:01AM -0800,
 Swaminathan Saikumar <swami@giveexam.com> wrote
 a message of 30 lines which said:

> Postgres has this encoding setting at the database level.

Which is simpler, IMHO. "One encoding to rule them all"

> I am using UTF8 Unicode for most of my data, but there is some data
> that I know for sure will be ASCII. However, this is also stored as
> UTF8, using up more space.

Excuse me, but this shows a serious ignorance of UTF-8. A character of
the ASCII range, in UTF-8, is stored in one byte, exactly the same
size as ASCII (any ASCII file is an UTF-8 file, that's an important
property of UTF-8).