10 reasons to entrust your data to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject 10 reasons to entrust your data to PostgreSQL
Date
Re: 10 reasons to entrust your data to PostgreSQL
List pgsql-advocacy
hi advocacy people !

Last month, the french speaking community add a booth at "Solution Linux"
annual meeting. For this event, we prepared an A0 poster to tell people why
we love PostgreSQL.

This poster is quite basic : 10 key points have been chosen arbitrary among
all the PostgreSQL goodness.

This poster had a bit of success during the meeting. So we decided to
translate it in English. Unfortunately my knowledge in other languages is to
low to translate it for other local communities :-/

By the way the poster was made with Inkscape in the SVG format, so it may be
very easy to transform it into a smaller poster or into a flyer. This work is
under BSD licence.

check it out :

PNG : http://wiki.postgresqlfr.org/lib/exe/fetch.php/reasons.png?cache=cache
SVG : http://svn.postgresqlfr.org/repos/materials/advocacy/trunk/reasons.svg

You might find that these 10 key points are oversimplistic . Here's more info
about our choices :

Basically we wanted  something that would be quick to read and easy to
remember.

Our experience in doing PG booths is that there are several types of people
passing by the booth : you have people that come to you with a very precise
question, in the other hand you have people that don't even know what a DBMS
is and don't even take a look at you. In between is the vast majority of the
people : just curious people coming to the meeting, These persons are usually
interested by PostgreSQL but they don't dare asking directly a question or
taking a leaflet. Our idea was to provide information to theses
curious-but-shy persons. When they pass by the booth they can read the 10 key
points and get a basic view on PostgreSQL state-of-the-art.

Besides the poster is also very helpful when you try to convice someone, or
when you respond to the whats-the-difference-with-mysql question :-)

All that made us think that we should translate and share this poster. Don't
hesitate to modify and distribute it ! Comments are also welcome !

Regards,

--
damien clochard
http://dalibo.org | http://dalibo.com