Re: Sun buys MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Peterson
Subject Re: Sun buys MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
2008-01-16_23:17:33-0500 "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>:

> > Sun, for example, can now claim to be _the_ definitive provider of
> > MySQL support services, rather than merely being one of many
> > sponsors.  That is the return on their investment.  There are plenty
> > of PHB's who want so-called "enterprise" support, and who will pay
> > good money for it. Where should they buy that support for MySQL?
> > Sun, of course.
>
> Well sure, and all those PHBs can also buy "enterprise" support from
> Command Prompt (and several new ones do every month). Heck they can
> even buy from EnterpriseDB. Enterprise is in the name for goodness
> sake ;)

Of course - and they would be in great hands if they did so.

> > A purchase gives Sun a certain exclusivity that they could never buy
> > with a mere donation.
>
> I don't argue that it is an interesting strategic move for Sun. They
> paid entirely too much but that isn't really relevant for us.
>
> What is important as that all this is going to do is invigorate our
> community further. I guarantee you we will start to see even more
> influx of new community members with this purchase.

Of course I'm still a PostgreSQL bigot myself, but I think this move
does more to invigorate MySQL than PostgreSQL.  But that was not really
my point.

My point was that MySQL could be an acquisition target because they have
a clearly defined organizational structure; and that they are much more
valuable to Sun as an acquisition than as a charity case.  Lacking any
formal structure, it's difficult to surmise how something similar could
ever happen to PostgreSQL.  It seems to me that situation is at least
worth examining from time to time.

Best.

--
Ron Peterson