Re: New tzdata available - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: New tzdata available
Date
Re: New tzdata available  (Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM>)
Re: New tzdata available  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@CommandPrompt.com> writes:
> >
> >> Even when the system TZ is not used, we could deliver our "zic"
> >> executable (pgzic?) and let the user drop the latest tzdata somewhere
> >> and recompile it.
> >
> > Well, a person who builds from source has already got the zic program;
> > all we need do is document someplace (more visible than now) how to drop
> > the tzdata update into the source tree and reinstall the files.
> >
> > For people using prebuilt packages, it's really the packager's problem.
> > I think most packagers are going to move to depending on a system
> > timezone DB if at all possible.
>
> Still need a solution for those where it's not possible (hint: Windows).
>  Not saying it has to be what's there now, but there has to be something
> workable.

I think the first step is to install the zic binary along the rest of
the stuff, so that a user without the source tree can compile the tzdata
package.  Unless the compiled representation is portable, which I kinda
doubt?

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"The only difference is that Saddam would kill you on private, where the