Re: what is up with the PG mailing lists? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: what is up with the PG mailing lists?
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 01:16:01PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> minutes, fail, etc ... I'm not sure if its a simple '2x' algorithm, but the

No, it's a progressive backoff with some randomisation in every
modern server I know of.  That's because, if there's some periodic
issue that causes DoS, then just backing off the same period would do
it again.  We already _had_ that nightmare on the Internet, and we
hope not to experience it again ;-)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.    --J.D. Baldwin