Re: what is up with the PG mailing lists? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: what is up with the PG mailing lists?
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:13:28 -0400
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> Oh, and the message you sent with this info just took about over 4
> >> hours to get here, which happens fairly often. Headers from this
> >> one:
>
> > It sat in the mod queue until I approved it earlier.
>
> Magnus, don't you get notices from the mail daemon when a post of
> yours is held for moderator approval?  I do, so I know the difference
> between "slow" and "no moderator handy" ...
>
> (I think actually that this behavior isn't default, which strikes me
> as a pretty dang poorly chosen default.)

I find the moderator argument holding zero water. We have a lot of
moderators including myself (recently added) on a couple (if not all?)
lists.

Yesterday Devrim approved several messages that came through that I
didn't see until hours later. Not because I wasn't checking email
but because they never showed. Now, we know the current problem with
that, which Marc just fixed.

However the "mailing list" problem is a constant. Sometimes they work,
sometimes I don't get messages for hours. This is not the first time I
or others have brought up the mailing list issues.

It would be great if the actual sysadmin team had management ability on
the mail servers. I would actually argue that it should be a
requirement and that the fact that the sysadmin team doesn't is a real
problem.

Note we still don't have documentation on this stuff, even though the
request has come through well over a dozen times and been willingly
ignored.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL