Re: Sun releases for us? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Sun releases for us?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:55:47 -0700
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 09:37 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Speaking of PR departments, it seems Sun Microsystems just released
> > our beta for us ;-)
> >
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2198253,00.asp
> >

> > This just goes to prove that all PR departments (including
> > Berkus :P) and all journalists make this kind of mistakes :) You
> > might want to correct it though.
> >

> It just looked like a news release for the beta from Sun's
> perspective. It seemed very positive to me.
>
> What caught your attention? Is it already corrected or am I missing
> something?

Well it is written in a way that makes it appear that Sun somehow
released PostgreSQL 8.3 Beta. However on second read it is no where
near as nefarious as other releases I have seen out there.

The only issue I would take is this:

The final release is expected in about eight weeks, he said at Sun's
Open Source Summit press event here.

The way it is written it appears we are somehow tying our release to
Sun's marketing timing which is of course BS.

This likely has nothing to do with Berkus and everything to do with a
reporters ability to actual report facts, which I find extremely
limited in general.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards,