Re: Request: Anyone using bogus / "humorous" X-Message-Flag headers, could we please turn them off - Mailing list pgsql-general

From A. Kretschmer
Subject Re: Request: Anyone using bogus / "humorous" X-Message-Flag headers, could we please turn them off
Date
In response to Re: Request: Anyone using bogus / "humorous" X-Message-Flag headers, could we please turn them off  ("Bill Bartlett" <bbartlett@softwareanalytics.com>)
Re: Request: Anyone using bogus / "humorous" X-Message-Flag headers, could we please turn them off  (Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-general
am  Mon, dem 08.10.2007, um 13:05:50 -0400 mailte Bill Bartlett folgendes:
> > > (Makes me have to think twice about raising
> > > any _real_ issues though, like why my VACUUMs periodically keep
> getting
> > > into lock contentions with my JDBC connections and ultimately
> causing me
> > > to have to shut down Postgres w/ "pg_ctl stop -m immediate", or how
> > > properly handle postmaster errors that don't appear to be documented
> > > anywhere except in the source code...  [No, it's not the absolutely
>
> > > most recent version of Postgres; No, I can't upgrade it.])
> >
> > This isn't fair, Bill. Your original question concerned posts your
> > email client has trouble processing, which isn't the primary
> > topic of the list. You also knew that it was somewhat contentious,
> given that
> > you've made comments such as "Believe me, I'm not defending
> > Outlook", so you probably weren't overly surprised at some of the
> > solve your problem: I don't see any that only belittled your choice of
> software.
> >

> Most people didn't completely read my email and thus unfortunately
> completely missed the point, in many cases seemingly because they were
> too quick to jump on my use of Outlook as an email client (thus assuming
> I was just one of "those" terrible horrible know-nothing Windows users).

I can speak only for myself, but when i see damaged mails (with, for
instance, broken quoting-line as you can see above, then i think:
'apparently a windoze-user'.

I don't need to know the headers.

> It's obvious from 3 years of reading these forums that there is a "Linux
> Postgres users good, Windows Postgres users bad" bias by many (but not
> all) of the members rather than them realizing that " 'we' are all
> Postgres users, 'those' other horrible people are MySQL / Oracle / etc

No, sorry. We are all PG-users. Nothing else.

> Rereading my original email, you can see that the problem I was trying
> to address was not my choice of email software but rather that several
> people in these Postgres listservs (like other people in other
> listservs) were intentionally misusing a specific header flag that is
> used by specific email programs (only the various "Outlook"-related

Outlook isn't a email-programm, it's a PITA. Nothing else. Okay, maybe a
PIM. But not an email-software, for this case it can't work. At least in
a useful way.

> normally just grit my teeth and ignore it.)  After researching this flag
> further (after seeing the feedback I got on this forum), I've discovered
> that this type of misuse is frequently used, and even recommended on
> many Linux-oriented web sites as a means, to annoy Outlook-based users
> (as a means to annoy Windows users).  As I mentioned above, I think in a
> forum such as this, where "we" need to all be Postgres users, I don't

You should realize: Postings/Mailings generated with OjE are 'Broken by
Design'. I don't need to see the headers to recognize, that the
posting/email was generated with this pice of broken software, i can see
it in the body. Let me say the same with other words: not the
linux-users smells, the posting/emails, generated with M$-software,
smells! Thats the point.

> (Just for the record, not that I should have to justify my background
> and biases [or hopefully lack thereof] to the group: I gave up fighting
> platform wars a LOOONG time ago, back when I used to try to get the

Again: i don't want a fight (or war) on OS or email-client, but, please,
realise: for mailings-list there are good and not-so-good software
available. And all M$-shit isn't suitable. Rule of thumb.

> Windows servers).  I may be using Windows on my desktop, but I don't
> think I'd put myself into the category of being merely one of "those
> terrible horrible know-nothing Windows users".)

Noboday said that. But again, realise, Outlook and OE isn't a good
email-software.  It's shit, straightforward.

> > at least post them and see what kind of response you get,
> > rather than judge the list as a whole due to the response you got to
> an
> > off-topic post. Many of the people on the lists have been here for
> years and
> > have gotten lots of helpful advice, which is why they've stuck

Can you please see this shit of broken lines? This is from YOU!

Again: i've cut off the X- - header. But i wish, all users here are
using functioning email-software. It makes more easily for all. And
again: Outlook and OE isn't a functioning email-software. Obviously.

And sorry for my broken english...

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer