Re: PITR Recovery and out-of-sync indexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PITR Recovery and out-of-sync indexes
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Brian Wipf <brian@clickspace.com> writes:
>>> PG tried to enforce the same LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE. On OS X, the  value
>>> of en_US.utf8 didn't exist, so I created a soft link to  en_US.UTF-8 in
>>> the /usr/share/locale/ directory. When I sort the  values of
>>> product_id_from_source on both systems using the locales in  this manner
>>> I get different orderings:
>
>>> I can happily live with rebuilding indexes if this is the only  problem I
>>> can expect to encounter, and I would still prefer PITR over  replication.
>> The whole notion scares the daylights out of me.  If you really need
>> to use PITR between these two particular platforms, use a locale
>> with common behavior --- C/POSIX would work.
>
> Could you run Linux in a virtual-machine in OS X?

I think it would be easier (and more performant) to define a new locale
on OS/X (or on Linux) to match the behavior of the other system.
(Perhaps define a new locale on both, with matching name and matching
behavior).

--
Alvaro Herrera                        http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"No hay hombre que no aspire a la plenitud, es decir,