Re: The naming question WAS: Theme of this release: Performance? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: The naming question WAS: Theme of this release: Performance?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Monday 27 August 2007 15:36, Ron Peterson wrote:

> > * Why 'Postgres'?  Any marketing effort this large should start from
> >   scratch, and consider all possibilities, not just default to something
> >   barely different for the sake of easing the terrible pronunciation
> >   challenge.
>
> I've noticed that it's easier pronouncing 'Postgres' than 'PostgreSQL'
> in languages other than English (the SQL part gets lost in the
> translation).

Most people are baffled with "postgresql" in spanish.  I've had myself
presented as "postgresol developer" before talks.  I usually say "our
official name is PostgreSQL but it can be abbreviated as Postgres" and
then consistently use just Postgres all the time.