Re: The naming question WAS: Theme of this release: Performance? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Bernier
Subject Re: The naming question WAS: Theme of this release: Performance?
Date
Re: The naming question WAS: Theme of this release: Performance?  (Ron Peterson <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Monday 27 August 2007 15:36, Ron Peterson wrote:
> 2007-08-27_14:49:54-0400 Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>:
>
> * It's google'able.  Think of all of the documentation out there which
>   refers to PostgreSQL.  When people start searching for 'postgres'
>   they'll get virtually nothing.

FYI: I never google postgresql, always postgres

> * Why 'Postgres'?  Any marketing effort this large should start from
>   scratch, and consider all possibilities, not just default to something
>   barely different for the sake of easing the terrible pronunciation
>   challenge.

I've noticed that it's easier pronouncing 'Postgres' than 'PostgreSQL' in languages other than English (the SQL part
getslost in the translation).