Re: mysql proxy - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: mysql proxy
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Andreas, Lukas,

> >> I am sure most of you have seen some blog post [1] on the mysql proxy
> >> [2]. It basically allows you to proxy calls to the server. Inside the
> >> proxy you can write scripts (language is LUA) to do all sorts of funky
> >> things like auditing, r/w splitting by master/slave [2], connection
> >> pooling etc.
> >
> > Sounds like mysql-proxy tries to mimic what pgsql's triggers and rules
> > and pgpool already do.

No, I don't think that's accurate.

> If that is the case, it might be worth it to write a comparison blog
> post illustrating that this is available for PostgreSQL. I wasnt aware
> that there is a scripting language embedded in pgpool.

There isn't AFAIK.

The current "best of" proxies for PostgreSQL is pgBouncer.  I'd be interested
in seeing us add scripting capabilities to it like MySQL has; it seems like a
cool idea.  Of course, I personally have no plans to do the work.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun