Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> AFAICS that just moves the problem to a different place, one where an
> >> admin *can't* fix it without recompiling ...
>
> > Is there real reason why admin should do it? Timezone files are stored in
> > defined location where "all" software expect it.  If it is important to change
> > timezone file location we could add extra command line parameter or GUC
> > variable, but I don't see any reason for do it configurable on run-time.
>
> [ shrug... ]  This just reinforces my point: if every packager is going
> to have his own opinion about how to do it, there's little point in
> trying to provide a pre-fab solution.

Well, there's a point if every packager have his own opinion but the
opinions all happen to be equal.  Is there any glibc system where it
isn't /usr/share/zoneinfo?  Per Zdenek's patch, even Solaris does it
that way.

The FHS defines it that way:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRSHAREARCHITECTUREINDEPENDENTDATA
(which is said to cover Linux and 4.4BSD-based systems).