Re: Video storage in Postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Video storage in Postgres?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Bob,

> Anyone aware of companies using techniques in Postgres to store videos?
> My understanding from talking to a bunch of online video companies is
> that they typically store the links in the DBMS that points to the video
> file to a file system. Thoughts? Most say they would love to store the
> video in the DBMS itself.

APC has a server room security/environment solution which stores up to 1TB
of annotated video frames in each PostgreSQL database.  I know there's
another as well, but I can't remember it right now.

For most applications, it makes more sense to store video in the filesystem
and not in the DB.  Also for *retrieval* of video, we have an issue; libpq
really needs a way to retrive large data 1MB at a time and not wait for
the whole field/row.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus