Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Fetter
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 05:34:14PM -0500, Decibel! wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 10:16:15PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Pavel,
> >
> > > I did't test MySQL three years, But three years ago, MySQL rollback
> > > was really, really slow.
> >
> > Based on recent testing I did, rollbacks are very expensive -- like 3x to 4x
> > the cost of the original insert in high-concurrency environments.  Also not
> > always reliable (as of 5.0).
>
> Wow, that's a serious gotcha. If there's a way to reproduce that we
> should certainly let Ian Barwick of MySQL gotchas fame know about it.

That's under "Epic, feature-length rollbacks," and yes, that's with
InnoDB tables.  MyISAM tables have no ROLLBACK capability at all.

http://sql-info.de/en/mysql/transaction-innodb-table.html#4_3

Cheers,
David.
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate