Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL relatedpressrelease
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Derek Rodner wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I would like to join the discussion regarding the marketing of
> EnterpriseDB.
>
> First, let me address the benchmarking issue.  We do restrict anyone
> besides EnterpriseDB from publishing benchmarks for EnterpriseDB
> Advanced Server.  It is a standard practice that almost every other
> commercial vendor follows.  After all, we don't want other companies
> hobbling our technology and claiming they are x times faster.  It is one
> of the benefits of being a proprietary product.
>
> Second, let's talk about the "up to 200% faster" claim.  I stand behind
> this statement 100%.  After all, they are my words.  And, remember, as
> Bruce said, it is marketing.

There is a subtle linkage here.  You "don't want other companies
hobbling our technology and claiming they are x times faster", but you
turn around and do that to the PostgreSQL community version.

What am I not understanding here?