Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL related pressrelease - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Problem with recent PostgreSQL related pressrelease
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> >
> >> EnterpriseDB is 200% faster than an untuned PostgreSQL
> >>

> > This sentence is true, even if it is a generalisation: the specific
> > workload tested was an OLTP workload. EnterpriseDB ships with a feature
> > called DynaTune that makes this so. My observation is that it does a
> > good job.
> >
> Please note that the website doesn't mention "untuned". We all know that
> an untuned PostgreSQL is usually slower than a tuned installation.
> Autotuning is a fine feature, but the EnterpriseDB website and marketing
> stuff gives the impression that the Enterprise _core_ system is 200 %
> better.

I did find that referenced here:

    http://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/datasheets/EnterpriseDB_Advanced_Server.pdf

    EnterpriseDB substantially enhanced PostgreSQL, the world.s most
    advanced open source database, to create the EnterpriseDB Database
    Server. The product retains the legendary stability and reliability of
    PostgreSQL while performing up to 200% faster.

Notice the marketing-twist "up to".  Like, "save up to 99%" in a store window.