Re: Still recommending daily vacuum... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Still recommending daily vacuum...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 11:19:12PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/routine-vacuuming.html :
>
> Well, with autovac defaulting to ON in 8.3, that's certainly obsolete
> text now.
>
> Is there a reason to say anything beyond "use autovac"?

There is; I know that things like web session tables aren't handled very
well by autovacuum if there are any moderately large tables (anything
that will take more than a few minutes to vacuum). Eventually we should
be able to accommodate that case with multiple workers, but we'll need a
mechanism to ensure that at least one worker doesn't get tied up in
large vacuums.
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org