Re: The Business Case for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From elein
Subject Re: The Business Case for PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 08:31:59AM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:
> xzilla@users.sourceforge.net (Robert Treat) writes:
> > On Sunday 17 June 2007 23:10, Chris Browne wrote:
> >> "From the outset, PostgreSQL was constructed to meet the goals of
> >> active businesses which could rely on it as a core element of their
> >> mission-critical IT infrastructure."
> >>
> >> Nope.  At the outset, it was constructed as a research project.  When
> >> it became an OSS project, I'm not sure those were yet the goals.
> >
> > Yeah, this one is probably more problematic.  Could it be argued
> > that, having created one system and seeing how it fared
> > commercially, that Stonebreaker & Co. did have in mind the idea of
> > POSTGRES becoming a basis for a commercial system as well?  Maybe
> > someone from the "Old School" can comment?

As we all know Stonebraker's commercial branch of Postgres circa 1992
was called Miro'/Montage/Illustra.  Then they got bought by Informix,
the stock dropped, Informix was split up and the database went to IBM.

elein
elein@varlena.com