Re: How much ram is too much - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: How much ram is too much
Date
Re: How much ram is too much
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 11:09:42AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> >and set them to anything remotely close to 128GB.
>
> Well, we'd give 25% of it to postgres, and the rest to the OS.

Are you quite sure that PostgreSQL's management of the buffers is
efficient with such a large one?  In the past, that wasn't the case
for relatively small buffers; with the replacement of single-pass
LRU, that has certainly changed, but I'd be surprised if anyone
tested a buffer as large as 32G.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The whole tendency of modern prose is away from concreteness.
        --George Orwell