Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Norberto Meijome
Subject Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 18 May 2007 01:29:56 -0400
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > I do not run any Postgres-related training shops or businesses so I do
> > not have any vested interests in promoting it, beyond simply loving
> > the product, so feel free to take this suggestion with a grain of
> > salt. I won't be surprised :)
>
> I'm curious... you seem to have bridged the cpanel/postgres gap, have you
> emailed your vendor with a list of changes they need to integrate into thier
> product? Have you gotten any response from them?
>
> I've said this before to people and it's true, this is not a problem we can
> fix because cpanel is a commercial application, you need to put pressure on
> the cpanel people.  If they need changes in PostgreSQL we can look at that,
> but without them working on this problem it is never going to change.

I agree. and, FWIW, Plesk also supports PosgreSQL ( at least since 8.x )...

as to the 'PGSQL being hard to manage remotely'... i dont' know what you are
on. Any system that has been locked down properly (or defaults to locked down)
will have to be reconfigured to move off the default state. I really don't see
how pgsql is any harder for plesk or cpanel to  support than mysql,other than ,
as you say, they've been paid to do it.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Unix is very simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity."
   Dennis Ritchie

Warned.