Re: Spliting a string in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: Spliting a string in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
Jasbinder Singh Bali <jsbali@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Hi,
> I'm writing a function in plpgsql and i need to do the following:
>
> I have a string in the following format.
>
> _m_a_i_l_._y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m
>
> In this string, i need to figure out the number of dots in it and split the

Number of dots:

test=*# select length(regexp_replace('mail.yahoo.com','[^\.]','','g'));
 length
--------
      2
(1 row)

> string into two
> on last but one dot.

I'm not sure if i understand you correctly, perhaps with split_part(),
see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/functions-string.html

Andreas
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)