Re: log_autovacuum - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: log_autovacuum
Date
Re: log_autovacuum
List pgsql-patches
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 14:53 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >  Maybe something like this is better:
> >
> > LOG: index passes: 1  pages: removed 0, 197 remain  tuples: removed 7199, 2338 remain  CPU usage: whatever
> > CONTEXT: Automatic vacuuming of table "database.public.w"
>
> Yours is better.
>
> I've implemented this:
>
> LOG: autovac "public.w" index passes: 1  pages: removed 0, 197 remain
> tuples: removed 7199, 2338 remain  CPU usage: whatever
>
> I'm happy if this gets removed later, but I think it will help everybody
> understand how multi-vacuums are working and what the best way to
> specify the controls should be.
>
> Not sure about the CONTEXT bit. I think its verbose, plus I thought that
> was for ERRORs only. I will defer on this point, since I know y'all
> understand that better than I.

I've tinkered with this patch a bit.  Sample output:

LOG:  automatic vacuum of table "alvherre.public.foo": index scans: 0
        pages: removed 0, 11226 remain
        tuples: 1300683 removed, 1096236 remain
        system usage: CPU 0.29s/0.38u sec elapsed 2.56 sec

Please comment.