Re: RESET SESSION - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: RESET SESSION
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Marko Kreen" <markokr@gmail.com> writes:
> >  RESET TEMPS            -- please suggest better name
>
> RESET TEMP (should allow RESET TEMPORARY too).  I see no reason to add
> a new keyword when the existing one will do fine.
>
> > So in the end RESET SESSION basically executes following commands:
>
> >  ABORT;
>
> I object to having RESET SESSION include an ABORT.  That will make it
> a transaction control statement and complicate matters for a whole
> lot of things.  If you don't know whether you're in a transaction or
> not, you can send ABORT for yourself, but in practice I think most
> client code already tracks that (or easily can).

It seems strange RESET SESSION would not terminate open transactions,
but on the other hand calling RESET SESSION in a transaction seems odd
too.

I think we should at least throw an error if someone tries RESET SESSION
inside a transaction, and hopefully administrators will realize they
have a problem.  Perhaps we can even offer a hint how to close open
transactions.