Re: ordering by multiple columns - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: ordering by multiple columns
Date
List pgsql-sql
Pablo Barrón <amentoraz@gmail.com> schrieb:

>  Hi!
>
>  I'm trying to order a list in which the first parameter to order is a specific
> field, and the second should vary depending on a specific condition. More
> explicit, I would like to do something like:
>
>  - ORDER BY a.column1, [b.column2 if c.value != 19 || c.column2 if c.value==19]
>
>  That is to say, use a column if a value on each row isn't 19, OR use a
> different column if it isn't. How could I solve this? I've got to have a global

You can do something like this:

order by a.column1, case when c.value != 19 then b.column2 else c.column2 end;

*untested*, but the way is to use a case when <condition> then ... else
... end; - construct.

Andreas
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)