Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option
Date
Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option  ("Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv@xs4all.nl>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 05:18:28PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:56:58PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > > 2. remove fsync parameter
> >
> > Why? Wouldn't fsync=off still speed up checkpoints? ISTM you'd still
> > want this for things like database restores.
>
> I think we will remove fsync in favor of the new delay, and allow -1 to
> be the same behavior as fsync off.

Well, presumably we'd still allow fsync for some number of versions...

Actually, I don't know that combining both settings is a wise move. The
delay should still provide crash protection, whereas with fsync=off
you've got absolutely no protection from anything. That's a huge
difference, and one that IMHO warrants a separate setting (and a big,
fat WARNING in the comment for that setting).